NYC Bar Home
Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Legal Director - Legal Momentum
New York, NY 10014 United States
Salary commensurate with experience. Legal Momentum has a very generous benefits package.
Legal Momentum is the nation's oldest legal defense and education fund dedicated to advancing and protecting the rights of all women and girls (it was formerly known as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund). Legal Momentum uses litigation, public policy advocacy and education to address systemic issues facing women and girls throughout the United States. Legal Momentum has offices in New York City and Washington, D.C. Legal Momentum seeks applicants for the position of Legal Director. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
General Job Description:
The Legal Director will lead Legal Momentum’s litigation and program work. The Legal Director will report to the President.
• Supervise the lawyers and legal interns working at Legal Momentum.
• Develop and oversee Legal Momentum’s litigation and advocacy docket, within the parameters approved by the President.
• Litigate actions.
• Lead, guide and support efforts to develop new programs, activities and strategies in furtherance of organizational goals of the President.
• Supervise Legal Momentum’s current programs.
• Oversee the continued development and success of networks of pro bono lawyers, law firms and volunteers.
• Manage the legal internship and legal volunteer programs.
• Represent and speak on behalf of Legal Momentum at conferences, with the press and in other venues, as approved by the President.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education, training, experience:
• Law degree from an accredited law school.
• Admitted to the NY State bar.
• 7 or more years of litigation experience.
• Experience in supervising other lawyers and staff.
• Experience with budgeting and financial management.
• Commitment to the rights of women and girls.
Terms & Conditions